Sunday, December 29, 2013

Red: Originally Written on December 14, 2011

Going about posting all my old stories here, and figure I might as well toss on a bit of commentary onto them.

This was the first story I wrote for my character, Redamous, and it is far from the last one. It's easily the worst, with god only knows how many spelling errors(which, for the sake of preservation, I refused to edit despite my want to), grammatical errors, and so on. Also, I'm fairly certain it commits one of the cardinal sins of writing like this, that being using a lore character. But hey. There ya go.



Red



Cold, of course it had to have been cold. He sighed, the tavern would be open to him all night, if he had the coin to keep the drinks flowing. He waited a few minutes, and finally headed in. He saw there was a fair amount of people, but not too many. He walked up to the bar as casually as possible, and leaned in on it.


The bartender sized him up quickly, "What can I get you?" the man behind the counter asked in a low growl.


"Rum," answered he answered, shivering. He decided that in case he got thrown out later, he might aswell be warm. Glancing up and down the bar, he was happy to see it was empty. He gave the bartender a quick smile and retrieved his mug, setting coins on the bar.


He cringed the second he felt a presence behind him, and the air went out of him as a large shadow passed over him.


The barkeep smirked, nodding at the new arrival, "Well, the only man who doesn't drink returns."


The man chuckled in a voice deeper than any he'd heard before, almost like a growl, "Give me a break Reese!" the man bellowed, "I buy rounds for the house from time to time, now don't I?"


The barkeep nodded slowly, letting a short grin show before pointing back at the original man, "Anything else?"


"No," he said, almost shaking from fright, he took a sip from his mug and glanced over at his new companion, almost spitting out his drink.


The new arrival wasn't so much a man, but more a beast that walked like a man. He was covered head to toe in hair. His shoulders broad, his long head stuck out of his body, and he stood much higher than any other being he'd seen.


The beast grinned at him, showing off a row of sharp, pointed teeth. "You should see your face!" he laughed, "Your eyes are bigger than a doe's!"


The man let out a small laugh, almost a cry.


"You aren't from around here are you?" the thing inquired.


"N-no, s-simply passing through, heard there might be work up north in Hearthglen." the man stammered.


The thing nodded, extending a clawed hand. "Redamous," he said, "But most folks'll call me Red," he chuckled, "Didn't mean to frighten you." he added with a smile.


The man nodded, slowly shaking the hand, as if Redamous might try to attack him at any moment. "Graham," he managed to say as he looked at Redamous' eyes, noticing they were glowing a bright blue, "Your o-one of those, er, deaders, aren't you?"


Red smirked, nodding, "Guess that's one way to put it."


Graham nodded, "How'd you, er, you know..."


"Die? Now that's a story, but to to tell you the truth, I'd say my whole life was a story."


The bartender raised an eyebrow leaning onto the bar, "Oh do tell," he said sarcastically, "I got all night you know," he chuckled.


Redamous laughed, tapping his head, "Now just you remember, there's still some holes, here and there, can't even recall my own name." he pulled up a chair, and sat down. Graham followed suit, happy to see he might be here awhile.


"Now then, where to start?" he mumbled, "Oh yes!" he exclaimed, "Gilneas, we begin in Gilneas!"

-----
I was born and raised in the greatest nation in the world, far to the north, Gilneas. My father was a farmer, raised by a farmer, and I'm sure he would have wanted me to farm, and much of my early life was spent in the fields, dreaming of adventure.


I recall when the Greymane Wall went up, though I was very young, when I was small, but I was too young to be involved in politics, and my parents always left it simply put as "We can do fine on our own."


The days dragged endlessly it seemed, my mother made sure I was educated, teaching me the basics of most school subjects, she always wanted me to be able to "Make something of myself,". I'd always enjoyed reading and she made certain there was always text around the house.


About every other weekend or so we'd pack up what extra produce we had and make our way down to the Market District. On occasion we'd stay overnight and go to the Cathedral the next day. Faith was never forced on me, but I still believed in the Light, perhaps not as much as others, but it was still there.


This went on for years, weeks, months, they all flew by, if you'd asked me during this time, I would have complained on how slow the days went, but now I see how fast it all went by.


When I turned eighteen, when I was at a pivotal moment in my life, I made a choice. I could have tried for higher learning, or gone into an apprenticeship, but no, there was still that young boy in my heart, screaming out for adventure, and because of that, I made a decision I question to this day, both in a good light and bad.


I enlisted.
------
In my opinion, everyone has that moment in their lives, that acts as a hinge, pointing them in the direction your meant to go, this was mine.


Basic training wasn't the torture I'd heard it to be. It was in no way fun, but it wasn't the nightmare I'd heard about. When given the option I chose to be a field medic. My hopes were that my mother's wishes of me receiving a higher learning mihgt be fufilled by this.


As time went on, I had a terrible feeling in the back of my mind. Though I wanted excitement, insided I dreaded the chance anything may happen. About three months after my 'tour' started, I began to see the strange world of politics that surrounded the nation, almost always involving the Wall.


One side supported keeping the Wall up, and they held fast to the beliefs we could, and would survive on our own, that we didn't need to get involved with the world outside. The other, cried out, claiming there would be point where we couldn't support ourselves, where we would be forced to bring it down. I did my best to stay out of it.


On occasion, a fight would break out, and once in a blue moon some blood was spilled. Of course only so much pressure could build up before things began to boil over, and soon enough an uprising had begun.


It lasted at most, three days, totalling of the casualties suggested that at most, thirty people died.


I recall sitting in the Military District tent I was assigned to, about ready to doze off into a nice nap after a dull day, when suddenly shouts filled the air, people screaming for doctors. I jumped to my feet, my thoughts racing. Was this a drill? No, couldn't have been, we'd never had drills like this before. My sanity almost escaped me as I exited the tent, people were dragging wounded, here, there, everywhere.


Someone motioned me over, and I bolted to the spot. Kneeling down, I tried to make sense of what happened. He was covered in cuts, but I finally decided that had been caused by him being dragged here across the cobblestone lined streets. His clothes were bloody, and I nearly fainted when I saw the hole in his side. I swallowed my lunch for the second time that day, and went to work, patching, and repairing the wounded area.


From person to person I went, mind blurred, enough moaning to drive some to their breaking point, until, finally the last had been treated and soon I collapsed onto my cot. Sleep pulling me into a dreamless darkness.
-----
The next day I was awoken bright and early, handed a gun, some ammunition , and a sword. I was assined to a small squadron, and sent into the streets to begin rounding up the rebels. We were informed they were armed, but advised to attempt to avoid resorting to violence.


As we walked, the silent, dead streets a feeling of unnerving calm hung in the air. The silence pressed down on us through the day, and when the sun began to sink low in the sky we began to work our way back. Somehow along the way, I must have taken a wrong turn, but it wasn't until minutes had passed that I noticed I was alone.


I looked, squinting to try to see further in the growing darkness. Footfalls echoed down the street, and by the now rising moon I spotted figures, moving together. My companions! I first thought, almost crying out, but as the silhouettes moved closer I noticed none wore a uniform. One of them was carrying what appeared to be a rifle, the gleaming metal reflecting in the now risen moon.


I took depserate action, spying a bridge and jumping over the railing, I hid under it. My breath held, I listened in the damp darkness, and released my breath once I'd heard the small posse pass.


I dared not leave my hiding spot until daybreak. Where as the night before sleep had pounced on me, this night it was focused on keeping it's distance, after an eternity, my eyes closed and didn't open again until dawn. I picked up my rifle from where it had fallen in my slumber, and looking it over gave a low moan, I tried the trigger and uttered a curse, it had jammed from the moisture.


I tossed the now useless piece of metal aside, and worked my way back up to the road. Deciding it to be the safer route, I began navigating a narrow alleyway. As I rounded a bend, I came upon a group of rebels, and clinched my sword. Suddenly they all jumped up, letting out a large cry. I ran twoards them, assuming an attak, plunging my sword deep into one's stomach.


I spun around my sword gliding right into another's side, turning again, I saw one jumping for his weapon, which I kicked away. Missing his mark he hit the ground with a thud. I attempted to plunge my blade through his back, but he rolled just in time. I swiftly kicked his gut as he tried to leap for his weapon again, and could hear the air plunge out of him, I finally was able to stab his heart and he lay still. My face drenched with sweat, I tried to remain standing, but instead fell to my knees, my weapon clattering to the ground. I looked at what I had just done, and vomited.


Soon enough, a person came running down the alley, screaming "Cease fire! there's an order to cease fire!" I let out a moan, the screaming man entered the area I was in his eyes widening.


"These men were alive but minutes ago!" he cried, tears beginning to stream down his face, "They were cheering with joy but moments earlier!"


My heart sank, they weren't ambushing me, they were just happy the fighting had ended, my thoughts became clouded, and soon enough, I passed out.
-----
The bar had grown silent, everyone's eyes focused on Red as he told his tale. Near the end of his speaking his voice had taken a sorrowful tone.


Graham looked at his drink, which sat, still almost full, he took a sip, and shook his head, pushing it away.


Reese set another mug on the counter, "Let it set too long," he chuckled grimly.


Graham nodded at him, and looked over at Redamous, "So that's how you died? As a sentance?"


He gave a sad smile, shaking his head, "Oh no, what happened to me for killin' those three was a minor punishment, considering death was always on the table." He let out a short sigh. "That is simply the first part of the story my friend." he grinned, "It gets better though!"


Graham similed, "That's good to hear," he muttered.


Redamous nodded, smirking, Graham noticed that he had a hat on, obviously too small for his large head, with holes cut in it for his ears, Red took it off and set it on the bar, scartching his head. "Now where was I?" he muttered. "Oh yes..."
-----
I groaned turning over on my cot. Maybe today of all days, I'd open my eyes and be back home. I sighed, and looked around. No, it was still the cell I'd been in for what had to be three days now.


I sat up, perhaps it would all end today, after the trial, I thought. Someone knocked on the door before entering.


I looked at him, he looked like he hadn't slept in days. He motioned for me to follow, and I got up to do just that, groaning. I felt so stiff, this had to be how the dead feel, I thought.


I was led out ot a hall and my hands shackled. As we alked down the long corridor, I glanced around, the other cells lay empty, before we exited outside to an open courtyard. I was put into a carriage, and it pulled off.


As it began moving, I wondered if they'd make it quick. I prayed they wouldn't force a slow death on me.


Finally, we stopped, and I was lead up the steps of Greymane's Manor. The large doors were pushed open as we approached. AS I entered, I saw how big of a crowd had gathered, the entire upper floor was filled.


Upon seeing me, the crowd went into an uproar, booing, and many spat on me. As I had found out days earlier, then men I'd killed had been quite popular.


When I was finally told to stop, I was in the center of the room, in front of me a few yards stood a table, chair, and a few other things.


A few minutes passed before finally Greymane, the king himself, strode down the large staircase. He took his seat at the table, and cleared his throat. The crowd seemed not to hear, as their roar grew louder. Greymane stood up, and looked around the room, clearing his throat again. This feel on deaf ears.


"Quiet!" he finally yelled, his autorative tone echoing around the large roo. The crowd feel silent at this. Greymane shot angry glances around the room before sitting back down. He looked over some papers that had been left on the table. Finally he looked up at me. "Quite the thing you did." he said calmly.


I nodded, my head hung low. He gave me a sad smile, and I could hear a slight bit of pity in his voice, "Why'd you do it?"


I brought my head up to face him, and retold the whole tale, throughout it he scribbled on a few sheets of paper, until finally I finished. A slight murmer ran through the crowd, but this stopped when Greymane shot a glance up towards the upper floor.


After a short time, the king rose, nodded to me, and walked up the stairs, and out the back. After a few minutes has passed, he returned, and shortly afterwords, he spoke.


"I find you, guilty on three charges of murder." he began, as my head slowly sank, "But," he said, my head moving up slightly, "Under the circumstances, I could not find death to be the proper sentance."


My jaw by now had gone slack, he wasn't going to have me killed. What then? I thought, prison, or torture perhaps.


"After much thought, I decided, you are to be sentanced to work in my house, until I decide otherwise." Greymane declared.


I was shocked, looking to the upper floor, where I saw my expression mirrored. I looked back to Greymane, who gave me a sad smile and nod.


Months went by quickly again. Most of my duties involved keeping the manor clean, and occasionally running errands into town. I would've been content if it went on like this forever.


After about half a year, though it came to an end. I was dropped off in the Market District and given some money for room and board. The moment the carriage had pulled away I felt a dozen cold eyes on me, looking around, I found there were many more than that.


I walked the streets for most of the day, most seemed content to ignore me, other's shot me passing glances filled with hatred. After about noon, though, someone came from behind me, and began pushing me, leading me from the city. My thoughts blurred, what was happeneing?


When they stopped pressing me forward, I turned around, not knowing what to expect. When I saw here. As I was trying to piece things together, she suddenly hugged me. My eyes widened. I asked why she was doing this, and she released me.


She looked down nervously, "I'm so sorry," she stated, "You don't deserve being treated like that."


I looked at her, "I earned that shunning," I said.


She shook her head, "You didn't know...."


I nodded, "I didn't, but three people are still dead."


"There were other's who died, you weren't the only one to take a life. They're just focusing on you, and that's not right!" she rebutted. I stared at her, awestruck, trying to find words. "Do you have a place to stay?" she questioned.


I shook my head, "Can't say I do,". She smiled, I tried to force myself to say no when she invited me to stay with her. I tried, but failed. She began leading me back tot he city by the hand. I laughed to myself as I walked the streets with her, hand in hand.

-----
That night stood in perfect contrast to the day. I ate well, I laughed, and overall just felt good.


She asked me what I planned to do, which forced me into thinking on what so far I'd tried to avoid. First my thoughts drifted to working in town, opening a practice perhaps.


She gave me a sad smile, "I doubt, to be honest, too many people would visit a doctor they'd accused of murder.


I nodded, she was right. I thought more, "Only other thing I've ever done in my life is farm." I finally said.


"That could work," she agreed. The conversation ended soon enough, though I still thought on it as I lay, trying to sleep. My parents had recently decided to move into town, as they grew in the years and had yet to sell their lands.


As I worked it over in my head, I sat up slightly, looking across the hall, where she was sleeping. As I sat there, I knew taht if I were to go on, I'd need to work her into whatever I planned.


The next day, I began to working on organizing, getting documents in order among other things. By the end of the week, I was a land owner, I had started the planting, and had proposed. In the middle of the next, the fields were all seeded, and I was working them hours a day, and I had been married.


My life was again a blur. The days ran together, it seemed, but this time the work was rarely as monotonous as it had seemed before. In my free time, I hunted in the woods nearby. By selling the excess from this I slowly chipped away at the mound of debt I'd formed.


Within' a year, we'd added another to our family, and a few years later, another. Looking back, it was the greatest time of my life. I slept every night with a smile. Thinking on it now I'd wished I'd savored it while it lasted, but at that time, I'd figured it'd have lasted alot longer than it did.
-----
Graham blinked, comics back to reality, he'd been picturing the scene, clearly, taking in every detail. Looking down he saw that this time, he'd been able to finish his drink. Even though the night had dragged futher on, the bar hadn't emptied, if anything it filled even more.


He glanced over at his companion. Red still sat, but now it appeared that he had something in his grip. Upon closer inspection, he saw it was a hat. Red seemed to be simply running his hand over it, though the smile and distant gaze suggest something deeper.


Graham simply watched, not saying anything. For the longest time Red continue, until he finally blinked. Red turned his head, seeming dazed as he looked around the room, though in seconds he regained his composure. Red seemed to notice Grahma watching, and gave a slight grin.


"It was a birthday present," he said, motioning to the hat. Graham simply nodded. He watched Red return the hat to it's resting spot on his head. Graham noticed Red's ears poke through the top. "Had to maim it alittle, after the change." Red chuckled.


Graham nodded, "When exactly did that all happen? I take it you haven't always been like...this?" he said motioning to Red.


Red nodded, the expression on his face gaining a slight sad tone. "We're gettin' there," he said, "Where did I leave off?" he asked, jokingly.

------
My routine of farming and hunting hardly ever changed, though a new addition to the cycle, drinking, did eventually come along. I don't recall how exactly I got started, but I recall how I would spend many a night at the local pub, before stumbling on the long road home.


This reached it's peak one night, when I arrived home, only to find my children still awake. My wife and I entered a heated argument, which ended when one of the kids ran from the room, crying.


The next morning we discussed it, my wife and I, more privately. After she'd informed me of my actions the previous night, I decided on the spot I needed to stop.


I decided to journey into the woods soon enough, I'd found hunting cleared my head in the past. As I slowly walked my usual beaten path, I saw something shoot across the path, yards ahead. I readied my rifle, this beast was large, lumbering on four legs, and I was sure it's pelt would bring in a fair amount.


As I continued further I constantly checked to my sides, I usually found solace in the silence of the woods, but when on an animal's trail, I'd always found silence to be a terrible thing.


Finally, I stopped, trying to find any trace of a sound, but there was nothing to be heard. Suddenly a being the size of a man jumped down from a nearby tree attacking me. I screamed, the once silent forest now filled with the sounds of my horror. In my panic I fired a shot, which was soon stuck in a nearby tree.


The thing clawed my face, it weighed atleast twice as much as me, but I managed to toss it off. Quickly I scrambled for my weapon. I wasable to retrieve it and make it to my feet. Looking back the thing had began to circle me, much like how I'd seen wolf packs do in the past.


I raised the gun, loading a shot. The being suddenly rose, now standing on it's hind legs. At this point it readied it's front claws, which I noticed were more comparable to a person's arms and hands than to legs and feet. Suddenly it pounced again, eight daggers rushed towards my face. I fired the shot, which made it's way into the creature's shoulder.


It let out a howl, I covered my ears, dropping the gun. I almost ran in fear, but decided against it. Leaping for my gun I saw the creature limping towards me, claws at the ready. It was easy to see he wasn't happy.


I found the gun, loaded it, turning around just in time to fire a shot straight into the beast's chest. It feel to the ground, clutching it's now bleeding abdomen, I heard it whimper before it lay still.


It was at this point that the pain struck me. I collapsed to my knees, grasping the torn flesh in agnoy. My blood was everywhere it seemed, and I feared passing out.


Finally I was able to get a grip. Tearing my shirt into strips I nursed my wounds, and soon enough I was limping back home.


When I arrived, my wife was horrified. She nearly screamed when she saw me, blood stained, pants and all. I lied, claiming it aws nothing, that a wolf had put up a good fight, that it'd caught me off guard. I worried she'd see through my ruse, but she just nodded, and brought me fresh clothes. As I changed, I wondered how far from the truth I'd strayed.


That night, was one of the greatest of my life. I was happy, I was alive, and with my family, who all seemed to share my joy. When the night finally drew to a close, I couldn't have been happier.

-----

When I next awoke, I was alone in the wods. A large pike thrust through my chest. As I tried to think back on how I got here, my thoughts seem to blur. Slowly what had occured began to come to me.


The first thing I could recall, was waking up at hom. My head had been clouded even then. As I pushed myself from the ground, questions ran through my mind, how did I get here in the middle of the front room? What had happened? Where....where were my pants?


As the room I was located in came into view, my stomach lurched. Blood, there was blood everywhere. I began back pedaling slowly. Suddenly I looked down, and found myself vomiting. They were dead, all of three of them. Did I do this? I thought to myself, I had to have done, no, perhaps someone had robbed us, and was penning the blame on me, yes, that'd had to be it.


I glanced around, no forced entry, I rushed to a window, looking for any signs of life. In the distance I saw flock of torches coming up the road. They'd be coming for me, I knew that much.


I fled out the back of the house, dropping to the ground in agony. I could feel my muscles contracting in one huge spasm. I ached, and screamed as I felt a shift in my very bones.


At this point, I neared blacking out, but instead seemed to shift perspective. I now seemed to be looking down at a creatrue, much like the one I'd fought today.


It ran towards the woods, howling as it approached the tree line more of it's kind emerged. I watched them, run like a pack of wolves for a week, until a stray guard patrol became their target.


The guards lost none of their numbers, leaving one of the beasts still breathing, as they retreated back to town. I found myself back in the present now, the last besat was me.


Looking around, I saw the last of the guard had scurried away, leaving me here. Thinking on it, I deserved it. Laying there, thinking, I was able to find peace, knowing I'd be with them soon.
-----



"The details of my return are the average tale of one of my kind. Light's Hope Chape and all that." Red finally finished.


Graham looked at him, noticing his clace gripped tightly around his chain. Red glanced Graham's way, and he cleary saw the sorry in Red's eyes. "Quite the story," the barkeep commented.


Red nodded, "It don't show me in the best of lights, but it's all in the past, I'm who I am because of it, and I see no reason to hide it." he said. "If I get asked about it, I'll generally tell whoever asks," he grinned, "Though mosts folks are content with leavin' it bloody well alone."


Graham nodded, and glanced out the door, "Looks like the suns coming up now." he muttered.


Red pulled out a small pocket watch, "Well, look at that," he muttered.


"So what do you do now?" questioned the barkeep, causally.


Grinning, Red said, "Fate decided to drop me back into the military, though with more work of the grunt variety, then again, can't say I prefer anything else."


The other man laughed, "Figure that's what I'll be stuck with up in Hearthglen," he smiled, "though nothing compares to an honest days work."

"I can't argue with that." Red said, he sighed, "Well, need to be off, find something to file a report on to make up for doin' nothin' all night." Red rose and exited quickly. Outside, a whistle, and the sound of wings could be heard, though something was off about the wings, and like that, Redamous was gone.

------



As he walked the halls of Acherus, Red's usual smile adorned his face, he'd always wondered why he was so happy, especially after all he'd done. Where most of his kind were content with being emotionless, he was almost always smiling and happy.


He shrugged, it was nothing to dwell on. As he passed the Blood Quarter he gave the disciples a passing glance, their mentor was raving on as usual.


He laughed, the usual now would have been maddening before.


As he passed a desk, he made sure to toss the file he was carrying under his arm onto it, more reports for the pile. He shook his head, he'd have gone crazy by now having to read the countless reports his COs had to run through.


He nodded to a passing Knight, planning out his day. Herbs, he needed those, he had some experiments lined up for later. He passed another desk, and a slight grin crept onto his lips. Perhaps he'd find the strength to file for demotion.


The want to file was almost a running joke, just for him. He'd always had a rule, follow orders. The thing he liked about this rule, is he could bend it. He could always follow orders, but he could do it how he saw fit, so long as they were completed he followed his rule. But filing for demotoin was a different animal all together, and he debated whether doing so wasn't following orders.


He sighed, if he was going to do it, today wasn't the day. His walking finally brought him to the balconey.


As he stood there, looking out over the edge, he sighed, another part of his life surfacing. This one before the unit, before anything really.


He'd stood, almost in this exact spot, contemplating. Looking out, in much the same way he did now, he considered jumping. He'd had heard of the unit, and even submitted to join. But he'd had no response. The recruiter had walked up right behind him. The conversatoin slowly turned to the unit, and what he was going to do with the forseeable future, and eventually he joined up.


Since then, he'd slowly, and unwittingly worked his way up a few ranks, and he regreted none of it.


Everyone has a point in their life, he thought, that points them in the direction they're meant to go. Years ago, he'd experienced his. Really, he still didn't know where he was headed, he was just along for the ride.


And he was going to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment