Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Prompt 7: Nonagenarian

 The viera's ears twitched as a drawer slid open. They twitched again when she overheard the sound of coins being counted. She didn't let it distract her from her work, and continued sorting out vials from her satchel.

Every now and again she made a few notes on a sheet of paper, or altered the label on a vial, but the bulk of her work was sorting. She had brought a small contraption for the vials to slot into, slotted out into a seven by four grid. It was a four week treatment of medicine she was still in the process of slotting in.

A midlander girl emerged from the small hut's kitchen, returning to the living room that Kodiana was diligently working in. The viera glanced up at the girl, who she reckoned was still in her late teens. Regardless of her age, she had a tired, weighted look in her eyes.

Placing the bag next to the vial holder, the girl offered Kodiana a tired smile. "Thanks for all of this." She walked over to a chair and practically collapsed in it, "Gran'll really appreciate it."

With a short nod, the viera finished her work. She tore the page from her journal, and offered it to the girl, who took it but didn't yet read it.

"All yer instructions'll be on there. Think it's pretty straight forward, personally, but if there's any problems, don't hesitate to ask me anythin'."

The girl nodded, looking down at the vials but not looking at them. "Right. Again. Thank you." She looked up at Kodiana, that tired look only growing, "Gran's gonna be 90 next month. Can you believe that?"

She nodded slowly, "Yeah? Be there 'fore I know it myself?"

The midlander appeared surprised for a moment, before nodding. "Your people leave for quite some time. I can't even imagine it."

"Neither can I, really, 'til I've seen it myself," Kodiana said, replacing a few items in her satchel.

The girl shook her head, "I just can't imagine living to be that old period. So far away so...Tiring." There was something in that last word.

The healer let out a sigh, "There any family around to help you with any a this?"

A long look took over the girl's face, "If there was, I wouldn't be here."

"Maybe ask around town. Plenty a folks in Gridania seem kind enough."

"Maybe so," the girl muttered, with the tone of someone who knew better. She shook her head, "'It's a pretty far walk', 'maybe we'll come visit next week'." Her head fell into her hands, "I hate this."

Standing up, Kodi made her way across the living room, and knelt down next to the girl. She already had a good deal of height on the girl, but now she felt even larger. Her arm extended around the girl, and she pulled her as close as she could manage with the arm of the chair in the way. "It's rough, I know it's rough."

"I just," the girl said, words starting and stopping abruptly through tears, "I hate it. I just. I want this to all be over, but then I feel terrible because." She gagged.

Kodi's head tilted towards the floor, resting against the girl's, "We'll get you through this. I promise."

No comments:

Post a Comment