Saturday, May 23, 2020

A Bitter Path, Illuminated - 9

Spoilers for Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers lore and locations.


Day 11
                Of all the things I expected to pull me out of my depressed stupor, never would I have imagined it to be my pixie companion. Having travelled such a long distance, I had resigned myself to likely never seeing them again, and yet this morning while drinking a cup of tea outside the inn, I was disrupted by none other than Niamh Áine. While I sat there amazed, Niamh proceeded to berate me for being so hard to find.
                “’Ad to cross so many damned realms just to get a whiff of where you went,” she screamed at me in that high-pitched voice of hers. Even now I wonder if I could recite the entire tirade from memory.
                When finally she finished with her tantrum, she went on another outburst about how difficult it had been, how many places she had looked, just to get the scent of me. I sat there in shock and amazement as she revealed right then and there, what I had already begun to worry. Norvrandt is not, as I had hypothesized, across the ocean from Gridania. This is not some far off distant land that escaped the Flood. This Eorzea is part of an entirely different star. Even writing this I can feel my stomach sink the same way it did when that small pixie spoke as though it were a trivial fact.
                Now that the information has had time to sit with me, I am forced to ponder my benefactor. Who they are, what they are capable of, and how far from how they managed to ferry me? Perhaps the most worrisome query of all, will I ever encounter them again?
Day 12
                Niamh informed the that it was my duty to show her around the town, which she claimed to feel some sense of kinship with. I imagine that the nearby forests and somewhat peaceful inhabitants may have reminded her of the Greatwoods near to Il Mheg, but she refused to let me know if I was correct or not.
                I will admit that wandering the streets did have a more positive feel with it. The power of companionship is not to be trifled with. I had not realized until I was wondering through the market, Niamh flitting about the stalls and commenting to herself, how lonely I had been. With a bit of pixie magic, I am the only one who can see her, for the moment. I cannot even begin to fathom what it is that pixies truly wield, but it is certainly powerful. We passed skilled and novice mages alike, and not one of them saw through her illusion. And due to the horror stories of Il Mheg, I am happy. I doubt it would be pleasant for someone to have ended up on her negative side.
                I did have to be somewhat quiet, especially in crowds. The last thing I would want is to seem mad, speaking to myself for no reason. Though I have been told that I tend to ramble when in deep thought. We took a trip into the forest proper, which seemed much livelier than the Greatwood. I attribute this in no small part to the lack of a swamp, which I was told one must travel much further south to see. There is no hurry for such a sight, I should need not specify.
                At one point we did happen across a scholar and their faerie, to which Niamh seemed somewhat surprised by. The Eorzean fairy certainly seems similar, and yet a look between the two made the differences obvious. The faeries seem to lack the mischievousness of the pixies, which I am sure that the Eorzeans do not mind in the slightest.
                By the time we had returned to my room at the inn, I had gathered that Niamh seemed impressed with what we had seen. Not just in the spirit that the people seem to have, but in seeing life go on as normal. I am in complete agreement. In spite of all their strife, the people of Eorzea continue on. Their world has never truly ended, even if it has seen numerous so called ‘calamities’. I wonder if they can even have claimed to have known fear, having lived in the light of the Flood for so long.
                When I consider this for too long, it stirs a dark envy in me, dear reader. To know that my people have suffered and continue to do so with no end in sight. There is no solution to it, there is no remedy but death. Yet in all that time Eorzea has sauntered on in their petty fights for land without a fleeting glimpse of our plight.
                I do not know what to do with these thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment