Thursday, March 12, 2020

A Bitter Path, Illuminated - 4

Spoilers for Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers locations and lore.

Day 115
                My mind races with the number of topics to discuss. Not just because of all the details each one requires me to convey, but how to manage their importance when each one screams at me no less than the others. Chronological seems the best method, even if my excitement drives me to rush towards certain points.
                I attended my meeting with my would-be benefactor at the appointed time. Entering Eulmore was no issue, as I was expected, and allowed to ascend its grand tower after a bit of bathing. I would like to presume that I have kept myself well enough, but perhaps so long on the road has made me lose sight of what that truly means. What I am more inclined to believe is that the people of Eulmore simply have much higher standards than the rest of Norvrandt.
                Nor can I blame them for such. The style of life they are allowed to lead in Eulmore is higher than I could have even imagined. The city itself reaches for the ceiling of the sky itself, but somehow their reach extends even further. They fear for nothing, dear reader, a prospect I would never be able to grow used to.
                If the people of Eulmore are hungry, they eat. If they are tired, they sleep. They have no labors, for the true citizens have people to perform such menial tasks for them. They laugh in raucous crowds or discuss any number of banal topics in quiet pairs. If they desire something, they dredge it up from the dregs below, of which I suppose I can now be accounted amidst.
                Much as I have thought about it, I cannot tell if I am amazed or disgusted. My stomach churns at the thought that so many can laugh and play while those below them suffer. And yet I cannot but feel impressed that they are not content to wallow in their fears and doubts while waiting for the end. The rest of Norvrandt has lived in sorrow, and the people of Eulmore scoff.
I wandered the place for an hour before my appointed meeting and feel that I have likely barely scratched the surface of it. The tower itself is tall, and with its population and their desires, I imagine that its corridors are filled with uncountable points of interest. At the designated hour I returned to the top floor, and found the requested spot, a table along the edge of the plaza, with a prime view of nothing but the wall of the Flood.
After seeing the horde of carefree denizens, I assumed that I would be left waiting for some time. That my would-be benefactor would be wont to keep me waiting. From laziness, or out of arrogance, or for something else striking their fancy, perhaps. Dear reader, this moment set the stage for each of my surprises.
My contact was already there, halfway through a glass of wine. I made sure to stand and observe her from afar for a moment, to best plan my strategy for whatever their goal was. The woman’s black gown was immaculate, her purple hair allowed to drape well over her shoulder. There was a boredom in her gaze, one that seemed to instantly lift when I stepped into view. Once she had invited me to sit, her focus rarely drifted from me. And yet, dear reader, I felt as though I was but one of many things on her mind. I dread to think of what the other topics might have been.
We made our introductions, and I learned that she, her name being Presé, was a patron of Eulmore. One who had taken an interest in myself, having heard of my goal through a grapevine from the Crystarium. I can’t imagine anyone from there having wandered all the way out to Eulmore, but am forced to reckon with the fact that I myself was there, all the way from Holminster. She told me she herself was interested in seeing someone ascend beyond Norvrandt, beyond the Flood. To that end, she made her offer plain.
She had resources in Eulmore and could also make recommendations on pieces I could search out in the Crystarium. She refused to inform me of how she was so well acquainted with the subject, though she did ask me to also consult with my pixie companion on the matter. I presumed she must have been acquainted with the pixie’s moving between their ‘realms’ and what not, though only after getting over the startle that she knew my traveling companion, even though they were not present.
Though unsurprising, I was still caught off-guard by her offer of residing in Eulmore for the duration of my research, as one of her charges. I certainly did not know how to answer at first, as she listed off the benefits. A proper bed, proper meals, a roof over my head. The thought of my cot certainly made me consider it, but I could not bring myself to dedicate. I was open to the resources she could provide, but I am not a person made for staying in one place at a given time.
Lying here now, I certainly doubt that choice. My tent will soon need tending, my supplies refreshed, but I will press on. I plan to journey to the Crystarium for a time, to consult the recommended texts.
I had hoped that documenting this day would help me bring it to a close, and yet I still cannot bring myself to sleep. My mind races at the very thought, at the entirety of my misguided search. I sought a place beyond the Flood. A physical place that was beyond the Flood. But my now benefactor has told me that it is not just beyond the Flood, but beyond all of Norvrandt. A star not unlike this one, with sights not all so unfamiliar. She spoke with such certainty, that I feel inclined to believe her. Even as a dream, an impossibility, what a fantastic one it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment