Saturday, February 29, 2020

A Bitter Path, Illuminated - 2

Spoilers for locations and concepts from Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Day 82

                I have spent the last few days trying to reach my first destination, the northern side of Kholusia. It being the closest, I presumed it would be the simplest, but going forward I shall try to keep my expectations lower. To reach it requires scaling a sheer cliff face, since the elevator that reaches up so far has ceased to function.
                My first thought was to pursue fixing the elevator, but no one would even consider the thought. Not only was there no one skilled on the mechanical side of things, neither was there anyone to do the damned labor. For ages this place has required on magical beasts of burden, and with them defunct they refuse to raise a finger beyond what they consider ‘acceptable’. What a pitiful bunch.
                The only other option I could come up with was someone skilled at scaling the rock itself. A search for that proved fruitless as well. Those who once had the skills no longer have the equipment, having had other things to maintain in the meantime. Anyone who seemed even willing to consider it looked like they could barely hold themselves in a standing position, let alone climb a sheer rock wall. Most, I feel, were only interested at the prospect of being paid or fed. I doubt they would have even helped, and instead followed me out of town and robbed me blind.
                In a final act of desperation, I sought a potential interested party in Eulmore itself, but was denied entry in any measure. Unless I was being selected by a sponsor, or had the wealth to become one myself, I was to stay outside with ‘the rest’. I assumed on the spot about what kind of prospects I had in getting a sponsor from Eulmore interested in leaving Norvrandt and departed. I have spent the last few days in Lakeland, plotting my route onward.
Day 89
                While traveling through Lakeland once more, I made my way towards that distant forest of Il Mheg. Upon reaching its outskirts, a local guard patrol asked me what my intentions were, to which I explained my goal.
                To say it went well would be the boldest lie I ever told.
                They accosted me, ‘guiding’ back to the Crystarium, the entire time telling me that I must have gone mad with pixie magic. The fools couldn’t wrap their heads around the idea of traveling to into those ‘demon dwellings’ with such a ‘foolhardy’ cause. I made sure to let my displeasure be known.
                I was relieved of them by another set of guards at the gates of the Crystarium, who were ordered to render me unto the proprietor of the Pendants for the next few nights, until I was deemed ‘of sound mind’. I spent a few days cordoned in my room without much to do save re-read the journal. When finally they released me, I made sure to keep mum about my intentions to continue my quest, and went on my way.
                The last few days have been spent gathering up and reading from some arcanist’s tome. Much as I hate to admit it, those uncouth brutes may have had a point in their thoughts on my current venture. Heading into the pixie’s domain without any means of protection is a fool’s errand. I have spent the last few days learning to toss a spell or two about, which will hopefully keep me well enough armed for my travels. I can pick up more as I rest each night.
Day 92
                It is in these words that I fear I must apologize to those who tried to stop me from journeying to Il Mheg. I am willing to eat any number of crow, especially if it could change my path and remove me from this horrid place.
                It was under cover of night that I arrived in the area, as to better avoid the patrolling guards. I presumed from here I would be able to find some semblance of civilization. To me, I thought that surely the tales of the place were tall, and that likely there were people about that did not wish to be found. Oh how I wish that had been the case.
                I had not been here for but an hour before I happened upon one of the pixies proper. After I managed to recover from my amazement, I was forced to contend with this creature, who chattered about with seemingly no end to energy or questions. Before I could even say a word on the matter, a second appeared, and then a third.
                They each proceeded to tug at me, one on each arm and one on my head, to the point where I felt they were going to pull me into bloody pieces. Once I had screamed long and hard enough for them to stop, I calmed them as best I could. That did not stop their trampling on my person, as next they were rooting through my pockets and my bags.
                This lasted for hours, and days later I am certain I have yet to recover every piece of my inventory that they stole. Once they had grown bored of that, they moved onto new games, demanding I play along. When one of them referred to a rather human looking shrub, I realized that my decision was already made.
                The sun had risen by the time they seemed to have grown bored of me and wandered off. If only it had risen sooner. Then perhaps I would have been spared hours of inane games of hide and seek, or other odd pass times they have produced. Not inane because of the childish games themselves, but because they were impossible for a mortal creature such as I to play against my fae foes. No sooner would I hear one of them chuckling behind a tree that they would suddenly turn invisible, and appear elsewhere.
                I found a suitable enough place to pitch camp, but only managed some few hours of sleep before being shaken awake and pulled into more games. This continued for days, until finally I managed to bore them enough that I be allowed to rest for a suitable amount of time. Half-starved and dehydrated, I collapsed at camp until this morning, at which point I found a proper time to write.
                When I emerged from my tent to begin cooking breakfast, I found a small parchment. I was tempted to rush back into the tempt before being pulled into more games, but still felt alone. Upon reading it, I was surprised to find that it appeared to be a letter of inquiry, offering for some sort of mutual bargain. Below the letter was a crude map. I have recorded the letter below, to which I will be following up on later today:
Outer Thing,
                I inquired into your items and incidentally intercepted one that you will wish to reacquire. Follow to my fallow field, so that we may face as friends. This discussion will likely dissuade you of any detrimental deviations you may have.
A Fae Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment